Throwback movies bring students joy

Over time, movies can take up a special place in someone’s heart. Students watched films growing up that brought them happiness, and as they’ve gotten older they look back on those movies with fond memories.

Some films that often bring teenagers a sense of nostalgic glee include “Shrek,” “Ella Enchanted,” and “The Little Mermaid.” Movies like these remind students of a time where they spent their days eating PB&J sandwiches and their only homework was finishing their multiplication problems.

Many students remember enjoying Disney movies. Whether it was a new show on the Disney Channel, a princess movie with an inspiring theme, or a film about superheroes, Disney released many films that captured people’s hearts.

Junior Mary Wheeler has many happy memories of watching Disney movies from her childhood.

“When I was a kid I would put them in one after another and watch them all day long,” Wheeler said. “The Disney Channel original movies were really nice too.”

Being able to watch movies they enjoyed when they were younger is an activity that can transport people back in time.

Sophomore Jolie Timm enjoys watching older movies because they remind her of the time she spent as a child.

“I know that I miss being little and so watching movies from when I was little kind of takes me back to that, which is nice,” Timm said.

While some people may think movies are only meant to be watched once, others find it enjoyable to reminisce by watching movies over again.

Senior Jake Jackson appreciates a good film, even one he’s seen several times.

He’s particularly fond of watching spooky movies he remembers from his childhood like “Hocus Pocus,” “Scooby-Doo” and “Casper.”

“They still have good actors in them with good stories,” Jackson said. “I love the nostalgic feeling I get. I still have all those movies on VHS.”

IMAGE / Wikimedia Commons
“The Wizard of Oz” is a favorite among students.

Watching movies from your past is also a fun activity because you can observe things in a different way.

As you get older you may be able to notice things that went over your head as a child, like jokes, puns, or other little tidbits packed into the film for comedic effect.

Timm enjoys watching these films and seeing what new things she can pick up now that she’s older and more knowledgeable.

“I still like ‘The Wizard of Oz,’ ‘Aladdin,’ and ‘High School Musical,'” Timm said. “I still like them because I still think they’re really good, and I always end up noticing things I didn’t when I was little.”