Some movie series don’t know when to call it quits

Over the years, Hollywood has produced some amazing film series that resulted in millions of dollars of profit, committed fans, and in some cases spin-offs.

While some series like “Toy Story”  have produced interesting films that kept audiences interested over the span of multiple movies, other series like “Transformers” have people questioning whether they should continue.

Sophomore Lance Hawkins believes the “Pirates of the Caribbean” series needs to come to an end, and that film production companies are too greedy when it comes to profit.

“Businesses try to make as much money as possible off series like ‘Pirates of the Caribbean,’ and it just ends up ruining the series,” Hawkins said.

“The ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ franchise has released five films, most recently being “Dead Men Tell No Tales,” which came to theaters in May.

The first film, “The Curse of the Black Pearl,”  which was released in 2003, follows the adventures of Capt. Jack Sparrow as he promises to help blacksmith William Turner to save his true love Elizabeth Swann from the crew of the Black Pearl, a cursed pirate ship.

The most recent film also follows Capt. Jack Sparrow as he searches for the legendary Trident of Poseidon to survive an encounter with his old nemesis, Capt. Salazar.

The movie also gives audiences a better insight into the life of William and Elizabeth’s son Henry, who had a brief cameo in the previous film, “At World’s End.”

Some films are intended to have multiple parts like “Star Wars” and “Back to the Future.”

Books that have been turned into movies are expected to have a film for each book in the series. The “Harry Potter” series has eight movies compared to the original seven books. “The Twilight Saga” was turned into five films from an original four novels.

Kyle Langworthy, sophomore, doesn’t like when production companies make more movies than necessary when adapting a book series to fit the big screen.

“They’re just trying to make money, especially when they split one book into two films,” Langworthy said.

Most successful films are eventually turned into a series or, at least, get a sequel even if that wasn’t the original plan.

Hollywood writers seem to have run out of original ideas quite some time ago. Pretty soon they will run out of ideas to steal.”

— Mr. Rob Markwardt, history teacher

Production companies like Disney and Dreamworks have released many sequels over the years to appease fans and to earn more money off beloved classics.

Some of these cartoon sequels have become big hits, like “Finding Dory,” and multiple installments in the “Shrek” series.

Mr. Rob Markwardt, history teacher, believes that sequels are the result of unoriginal ideas.

“Hollywood writers seem to have run out of original ideas quite some time ago. Pretty soon they will run out of ideas to steal,” Markwardt said. “The original films are doing a disservice when people go see a new version without even knowing it’s not an original idea.”