Some students plan to work this summer

IMAGE / Rachael Clark

Sophomore Chloe Clark poses in her Taco Bell work uniform.

As the end of school approaches, students affront empty wallets and a great deal of newfound boredom.

Many teens overcome this lack of money and abundance of time by getting a job for the summer, often through a fast-food franchise.

Sophomore Chloe Clark recently started working at Taco Bell and plans on working there for the rest of the summer and maybe even longer.

“In all actuality I’ll probably not only work at Taco Bell throughout the summer, but the rest of my high school career,” Clark said. “For me, getting a job wasn’t that hard because I have good grades and good credentials, plus I had a reference, which always helps.”

I can’t say I enjoy working, but I do enjoy the company of my coworkers.

— Chloe Clark, sophomore

Clark explains that getting and maintaining a job can be pretty exhausting, and sometimes the money doesn’t add up as quickly as expected.

“The application process is a little anxious because after you put an application in you kind of have to make yourself available at any time in case the workplace calls you,” Clark said. “I can’t say I enjoy working, but I do enjoy the company of my coworkers. Besides that, working is pretty stressful.

“Usually minors make about $8 an hour, and after taxes your paycheck doesn’t really amount to much. So when you have to balance homework from school, school itself, chores at home, and work, not only is it stressful, but your personal life usually suffers.”

According to www.epionline.org teen unemployment rates are increasing this year due to the minimum wage increasing from $7.25 to $8.90 an hour. It’s said that businesses who usually are able to hire teen workers for less are now hiring more experienced workers instead.

Other students are struggling to find a job for the summer due to age, lack of experience, and the inability to drive.

Sophomore Niccos Patrick is struggling to find a job since he is only 15 years old.

“It (finding employment) has been really hard for me, mostly because my birthday is so late in the year so I’m one of the last to turn the age I’m supposed to be,” Patrick said. “Nowadays, a lot of jobs won’t hire you unless you’re 16, and I just turned 15, so I still have awhile before I can even apply for a job anywhere.”

My advice to teens is to try and find something that you will enjoy doing and know a lot about, and then make sure you have a well-written resume.

— Joshua Gunther, sophomore

With many teens having an “I want” attitude, working for that money they so desperately desire might just be what many of them have to do this coming summer.

Sophomore Joshua Gunther has been working as a seasonal landscaper at For-Mar Nature Preserve for about three weeks. He advises other teens looking for a job to have an open mind about different kinds of jobs and to put effort into a resume.

“My advice to teens is to try and find something that you will enjoy doing and know a lot about, and then make sure you have a well-written resume,” Gunther said.