Ryan Thomas receives the John Philip Sousa Award

IMAGE / Miss Kari Shaw

Senior Ryan Thomas won the John Philip Sousa Award in band. He received his award during the spring band concert Thursday, May 18.

Senior Ryan Thomas received the John Philip Sousa Award at the band concert Wednesday, May 18.

Mr. Michael Bregand, band director, presented Thomas the award on the stage during Thomas’ last high school band concert.

“It really just floored me, I was so emotional,” Thomas said. “I’ve been really looking forward to seeing who would get it since sixth grade because it goes to one member of the Senior Class. I never thought I would actually get it.”

Band directors across the nation award this to their top band student each year. It is awarded to a student for superiority in loyalty, cooperation, and musicianship.

Thomas started band in the sixth grade playing the trombone, making him a band member for seven years.

I’ve been incredibly dedicated to it (the band) the whole time.

— Ryan Thomas, senior

In his sophomore year, Thomas became the section leader for the low brass section of the band.

“I’ve been incredibly dedicated to it the whole time,” Thomas said. “I’ve held that position for three years now, and that’s a lot of extra hours planning sectionals.”

Thomas holds himself accountable for the skills of those who belong to his section.

“I’ve always taken it personally if someone who I’m in charge of can’t do something that their asked to do,” Thomas said. “I think it’s my fault.”

John Philip Sousa was a composer and conductor who wrote many marches for the military, conducted the band for the U.S. Marine Corps, and worked as a theater musician.

Sousa then began his own band in 1892 and toured with them for 40 years, giving them a shining reputation. According to Dallas Winds, Sousa composed 70 songs, 136 marches, and 15 operettas, along with many other pieces of music.

Although Thomas is leaving the high school and leaving his band behind, he has high hopes for the band program.

I’m really going to miss it, and I wish that I could come back.

— Ryan Thomas, senior

“I’m really excited for all of the changes that are to come for the band,” Thomas said. “There’s going to be a new director next year, a whole new system of leadership, and there are some younger band members who are going to be able to stand up and take charge next year.”

Missing band is going to be hard on Thomas as he moves onto college, but he will return to do what he can.

“I’m really going to miss it, and I wish that I could come back. I’m going to help as much as I can through the booster program,” Thomas said.