Disney World brings magic to its visitors

IMAGE / Wikimedia Commons

Disney World is a great family vacation spot. It is sure to provide pleasure for the entire family.

With spring break right around the corner, students and their families are making final decisions on how to spend their week off. A popular destination is Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida.

Walt Disney World has many parks to visit, including “Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park,” “Disney’s Hollywood Studio’s,” and the most popular “Magic Kingdom Park,”  which is commonly referred to as “The Most Magical Place on Earth.”

The first Disney World park, Magic Kingdom, opened in October 1971 under Roy O. Disney’s supervision (Walt Disney had passed in December 1966 before finishing park construction.) Tickets were originally sold for $3.50 for adults, $2.50 for children ages 12 and up, and $1 for anyone under 12.

While prices have gone up since it’s opening, the parks haven’t lost any of their original magic. Magic Kingdom offers 41 attractions, including “Big Thunder Mountain Railroad” and “It’s a Small World.”

There’s a variety of food to eat at any of the parks. The restaurant Be Our Guest offers staples from the film “Beauty and the Beast.”

One of the more popular dishes is the “grey stuff,” which is described as delicious by customers and Lumière the candelabra himself. Some die-hard Disney park fans can’t visit the parks without buying “Dole Whip,” cake pops, or a larger-than-average turkey leg.

IMAGE / Courtesy of Madeline Raysin
Madeline Raysin (front right) and her famiily enjoyed their time at Disney World.

All parks have characters roaming the grounds, greeting fans, and stopping to take pictures of people. Classic characters like Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, and Pluto walk throughout Magic Kingdom.

You can find Jiminy Cricket and Baloo (who is usually accompanied by King Louie) causing mischief around Animal Kingdom, and princesses like Snow White and Ariel can be seen chatting near Cinderella’s Castle.

Sophomore Niccos Patrick dreams of going to Disney World and experiencing movie magic.

“Even though I’ve never been to Disney World, I’d love to experience the ambiance of the place,” Patrick said. “I would love to get a picture with Mickey, too. It’s everyone’s dream to meet Mickey.”

Trips to a place like Disney World can become cherished memories. The parks offer a nice family atmosphere and there are many different options to chose from to please every family member.

There is “The Hall of Presidents,” which presents historical accounts and speeches of past presidents. It would please any American history buff.

“Pirates of the Carribean,” a water ride inspired by the film of the same name, will impress any pirate or Johnny Depp enthusiast. And little brothers and sisters will be thrilled to meet Winnie-the-Pooh and Buzz Lightyear.

Sophomore Madeline Raysin enjoyed her trip to Walt Disney World.

“Magic Kingdom was my favorite because of Space Mountain,” Raysin said. “Seeing Stitch was pretty cool too.”

The park isn’t just for children. The park offers nice restaurants and rides like “Mad Tea Party” and “Dumbo the Flying Elephant” that bring visitors into the worlds of classic Disney films.

IMAGE / Mr. Henry Mestre / flickr
At Disney World, Dumbo flies through the air on the ride Dumbo the Flying Elephant.

“It was a good family vacation,” Raysin said. “Everyone had fun, even my parents, aunt, and grandparents.”

Since its opening, Disney has released many more films and even more characters. Hollywood Studios offers many Star Wars themed attractions, attracting many viewers to “Star Wars: The Force awakens,” “Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” and Disney’s upcoming movie “Star Wars: Episode IX.”

Many students, like sophomore Briahna Greer, have been to Disney World at least once, but wish to go again.

“I don’t remember a lot, so I’d love to make some new memories,” Greer said.

The picture of Dumbo the Flying Elephant is from flickr.