Football touches the life of Dylan Buschur

IMAGE / Courtesy of Dylan Buschur
Sophomore Dylan Buschur enjoys playing football during his sophomore year.

Growing up, sophomore Dylan Buschur did not have it as easy as others did.

As a child, Buschur grew up in an apartment with his parents and two siblings.

The neighborhood where Buschur had once lived was filled with gang violence, domestic violence, and where breaking and entering was a common criminal activity.

Even though all of the neighborhood children saw these crimes, they all found things to keep them out of trouble like playing different sports and games.

However, when Buschur was 10, his life had changed.

With his first year of football approaching, Buschur was excited.

Just two weeks after his mother paid for him to play, she died.

This gave Buschur more inspiration to keep playing.

“Instead of quitting, my mother passing really drove me further into playing football,” Buschur said.

IMAGE / Courtesy of Dylan Buschur
No. 18, sophomore Dylan Buschur’s teammates are like family to him.

Growing up, Buschur did not have the adult role models that most of his friends had.

“I pretty much do as I please, but from not having any leadership I had to make good decisions on my own,” Buschur said. “That was one of the toughest things that I have gone through.”

However, the friends that Buschur has is what has been the most influential thing in his life.

“All of my friends look out for me and motivate me when I need it the most,” Buschur said. “Many of my friends look up to me and that makes me want to be the best that I can be.”

Sophomore Dakota Tuck is one of Buschur’s best friends.

“I met Dylan at Potter (Elementary School) in first grade,” Tuck said. “Dylan is the brother that I never had, and I wouldn’t change our relationship at all.”

IMAGE / Courtesy of Dylan Buschur
Sophomore Dylan Buschur (second from left) competes in powerlifting with his friends.

Buschur is reaching high and wants to go to college and play football.

“At this point, football is one of my only ways into college,” Buschur said. “I just want to get out of Flint and make my mom happy.”

Tuck thinks if Buschur’s college plans don’t work out, he could be successful in the military.

Overcoming everything that has happened in his life so far, Buschur believes that he can get through anything.

He said, “Anything that was too big for me, I looked at twice and beat it.”