Volunteering at an animal shelter benefits students, animals

IMAGE / Connor Earegood

Freshman Laura Kendrick showcases the ASPCA website on her iPhone.

Volunteering at the Humane Society of Genesee County is a great way for students to pass the time during summer vacation.

It allows you to gain experience toward future jobs and can give you the warm, fuzzy feeling volunteering gives.

Volunteers must be 16 years old and have a copy of their tetanus vaccination, medical insurance card,  and personal ID. They also need to complete an application and pay $25 for training and a T-shirt.

Freshman Laura Kendrick plans on volunteering at the Humane Society.

Animals are cool, and I think it would be fun to work with them.

— Laura Kendrick, freshman

“Animals are cool, and I think it would be fun to work with them,” Kendrick said. “I want to volunteer at the Humane Society soon.”

According to the Corporation for National and Community Service, volunteering offers people a chance to learn to solve problems, strengthen their communities, and connect to others.

They also said volunteers have a lower mortality rate and are generally less depressed.

Volunteering at the animal shelter is a great way to meet friends who care about animals as well.

Mrs. Colleen Grathoff, career development facilitator, recommends students volunteer at the Humane Society.

“Number one, it’s a great learning experience,” Grathoff said. “You learn how an organization, such as the Humane Society, works.”

Volunteering can also save animals’ lives.

According to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals website, more than 10,000 animals have been rescued by the ASPCA.

Even more rescues can occur if the Humane Society has more volunteers.

Doing simple tasks can greatly influence the amount of animals the shelter can help.

Some common things volunteers do include sweeping kennels, playing with and walking dogs, and feeding animals.

The Humane Society lives off of its volunteers and, without their help, they could not accomplish their goals of finding the forever home for abandoned and mistreated animals.

Colleges also like to see that their students help their communities, so it is a great idea to volunteer often to strengthen your college application.

Volunteering at the Humane Society is an easy way to do this.

According to Ms. Alexandrea Giguere, who works for the Humane Society, there are 200-300 volunteers working for the group as of now.

Our number (of volunteers) will increase over the summer due to students being out of school for the summer.

— Mrs. Alexandrea Giguere, Humane Society

She expects that number to rise.

“Our number will increase over the summer due to students being out of school for the summer,” Giguere said.

Students can use the time they volunteer for service hours. If students receive at least 100 service hours during high school, they can receive a cord for their graduation.

At KHS, it is also required that students have at least six service learning hours completed during their senior year in order to graduate.

Many students can volunteer at the Humane Society over the summer, and the advantages are worth the small piece of summer vacation sacrificed by volunteering.