Boys bowling advances to quarterfinals, Linn earns All-State honors

Kearsleys All-State bowlers  share a moment together after receiving their medals at the MHSAA Division 2 singles state final in Canton on Saturday, March 4. The bowlers are sophomore Alexis Roof (l to r), junior Barbara Hawes, senior Aaron Linn, and freshman Imari Blond.

IMAGE / Coach Rob Ploof

Kearsley’s All-State bowlers share a moment together after receiving their medals at the MHSAA Division 2 singles state final in Canton on Saturday, March 4. The bowlers are sophomore Alexis Roof (l to r), junior Barbara Hawes, senior Aaron Linn, and freshman Imari Blond.

After the boys bowling team advanced from the qualifying round of the MHSAA Division 2 state final, Kearsley faced Eaton Rapids.

The Hornets were down by 100 pins after the two Baker games

Unfortunately, during the individual games, the Hornets did not do much better.

Their individual score was 795, while Eaton Rapids shot an 850.

Kearsley lost the match 1,246-1,091, ending its state tournament run in the quarterfinals at the Super Bowl in Canton on Friday, March 3, while Eaton Rapids, the No. 8 seed, went on to finish as state runner-up.

The day started out well for the Hornets, as the team qualified for match play as the No. 1 seed with a total pinfall of 3,455.

Singles Tournament

On Saturday, March 5, seniors Aaron Linn and Bryce McKerchie along with junior Jake Reid competed in the singles state final.

One of the three left with an All-State medal — Linn.

Linn was the only one of the three to make it to the qualifying round, finishing in 16th with a score of 1,160.

I’m happy for myself on getting as far as I did for states. I have accomplished a lot for my senior year.

— Aaron Linn, senior

During the first round of match play, Linn was matched up against the No. 1 seed, Grand Rapids Northview’s freshman Dan Frey.

Linn won the match 368-361 and moved onto the quarterfinals to face South Lyon’s Ryan Zaharia.

Things looked good early on as Linn had the lead after the first individual game by 14 pins.

However, Zaharia finished stronger, beating Linn 351-329.

Linn finished out his last season of bowling in the top 8, earning All-State honors, and is proud of his performance.

“I’m happy for myself on getting as far as I did for states,” Linn said. “I have accomplished a lot for my senior year.”