Blond wins regional title, five of six qualify for state final

IMAGE / Mr. Rob Ploof

Junior Emma Boychuck (back row, l to r), junior Barbara Hawes, sophomore Alexis Roof, junior Karlee Griffin (front row, l to r), and freshman Imari Blond celebrate their singles state final qualifications at the MHSAA Division 2 regional in Mason.

In the past six of seven years the girls bowling team has had a singles champion at its regional. With all of these singles champions it gives the individuals an intimidating factor.

This year was no different, as Kearsley’s Imari Blond won the regional, keeping the Hornets five-year champions’ streak alive.

Getting the win was an honor for Blond.

“I felt great wining it,” Blond said. “My first year in high school, at a new school, I was more than proud of myself.”

The Hornets competed at City Limit Lanes in Mason for a MHSAA Division 2 singles regional on Saturday, Feb. 25.

In addition to Blond winning the singles title, four other Hornets qualified for the state final.

IMAGE / Mr. Rob Ploof
Freshman Imari Blond won the MHSAA Division 2 regional in Mason, qualifying for the singles state final along with  four of her teammates.

Blond, a freshman, won the regional title with a six-game total of 1,203.

Although Blond won the regional, she did not like how she bowled. But she enjoyed every second of it.

“I didn’t think my performance was the best,” Blond said. “I could’ve done a lot better. But I had lots of fun, especially with the assistant coach, Hannah Ploof.”

Blond is excited to have qualified for the state final.

“I feel great. I feel like I really accomplished something,” Blond said. “I broke the chain of my brother and sister not making it for their freshman year.”

Although she’s excited, she sees herself needing improvement before the final.

“I really need to work on not pulling the ball and picking up all of my spares,” Blond said. “I especially need to improve my attitude.”

Blond was six pins ahead of her teammate, sophomore Alexis Roof, who came in second with a six-game total of 1,197.

As the regional runner-up, Roof believes her performance was above average for the day.

“I bowled better than I normally do in tournaments,” Roof said.

Qualifying for the singles state final tournament is a big accomplishment for Roof.

“Last year I didn’t qualify for states,” Roof said. “Coming in second (at the regional) this season was a huge accomplishment for me.”

Also qualifying for the state final were juniors Emma Boychuk, Karlee Griffin, and Barbara Hawes.

Hawes finished fifth with a score of 1,057. In last year’s regional, Hawes finished eighth with a score of 1,039, improving three places from last year.

In addition, Boychuk finished seventh with a 1,054, and Griffin finished in 10th with a 1,035.

It was an all-around great day for the Hornets.

Kearsley will be bowling in the MHSAA Division 2 singles state final Saturday, March 4, at the Super Bowl in Canton.

Kearsley Regional Bowling History — Singles Champions

2017- Imari Blond

2016- Hannah Ploof

2015- Hannah Ploof

2014- Anna Rutledge

2013- Kayla Emmendorfer

2011- Lindsay Ploof