Scully strives for success, plans to work with autistic children

IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh

Senior Hannah Scully

Everyday, senior Hannah Scully wakes up to a busy day.

She spends her days socializing with her group of friends and doing her best in school in the sports practices, games, and tournaments she may have that day.

Scully enjoys being a part of the junior varsity bowling team and the varsity softball team.

She has been on the bowling team for three years but has enjoyed bowling since she was little.

“The friendships and relationships I have gained during the last three years are the best part,” Scully said. “I enjoy being close with not only the girls but the coaches and families also.”

Senior Ashlee Countryman is also a part of the junior varsity bowling team.

“Hannah pushes me more and more to become a better person,” Countryman said. “She is always there for me whenever I need her.”

While Scully enjoys bowling, she has a special love for softball.

IMAGE / Mr. David Fairman
Senior Hannah Scully has bowled on Kearsley’s j.v. team for three years.

“I have a strong passion for the game. I love to play with the girls, and they make the experience even better. It definitely requires hard work and dedication, but what sport doesn’t?”

Scully considers Countryman, her best friend, to be the biggest impact on her attitude and personality.

“I have known her since kindergarten,” Scully said. “Ashlee helps me see my personality in every different way and is constantly changing my perspective of life.”

Countryman considers trust to be one of the key factors of their friendship.

“I just know that I can count on her for everything, and she can count on me for the same,” Countryman said.

Scully considers herself to be a confident person.

“I think my best quality is being a people person. I try to be outgoing and make myself ready to face whatever challenge I have to face,” Scully said. “I know my worth. I know I am beautiful and can do anything that I set my mind to.”

Junior Sarah Walker, Scully’s sister-in-law, said that Scully has the perfect amount of confidence.

“You can see in the way she carries herself while walking into a room,” Walker said. “She doesn’t care what others think of her. She just lives her life how she wants.”

She will definitely be successful. She is very driven and has specific goals set for herself.

— Sarah Walker, junior

Scully thinks that small, outgoing things make a big difference in someone’s confidence.

“If you hide behind closed doors, then no one will know how you truly are,” Scully said. “Even if you compliment someone, not only will they feel good about themselves, but you will feel good, knowing you made them feel that way.”

After high school, Scully plans to go into the medical field.

“I want to diagnose those with autism. I’m not sure what I will do specifically, but I know that for sure that is what I want to do,” Scully said. “In my Teach Lead Coach class, I have a few students with autism. I was so interested with the way they learn, what they see, and how they see things.”

She plans to attend Ferris State University, but she is unsure what courses she will need.

Walker knows Scully has a bright future ahead of her.

IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh
Seniors Hannah Scully (right) and Ashlee Countryman support each other through tough times.

“She will definitely be successful. She is very driven and has specific goals set for herself,” Walker said. “She has plans to go far, and I am fully confident she will.”

As her high school years come to a close, Scully is excited to start the next stage in her life.

“I will miss all my friends and teachers here,” Scully said. “They will forever be in my memories, but I am ready to take that big step.”

Scully has advice for all the students who still have time left at KHS.

“Always stay positive and don’t take these years for granted because they fly by,” she said. “Definitely stay organized, focus, and set yourself up for success. Overall, have fun.”