Sophomore wins shows with a horse named Steve

Sophomore+Leah+Williams+shows+off+her+ribbons+atop+her+horse+Steve+at+the+Grand+Championships+in+July+2016+at+Genesees+Cummings+Center.+

IMAGE / Courtesy of Leah Williams

Sophomore Leah Williams shows off her ribbons atop her horse Steve at the Grand Championships in July 2016 at Genesee’s Cummings Center.

Sophomore Leah Williams has been riding for most of her life. After having to give up her previous horse, Jay-D, Williams was on the search for a new pal.

On Jan. 7, 2016, Williams bought her new horse Steve. Steve is a 14-year-old, Appaloosa-quarter horse mix.

“At the beginning of show season I was nervous because I was riding a new horse,” Williams said. “So I wouldn’t show.”

After training with Steve for Western Pleasure, which is a western style competition, the duo won their first competition, surprising Williams. As a team, they continued to finish well in their competitions.

Williams and Steve compete in shows such as Lope for Hope, an open show dedicated to Breast Cancer.

They also participate in 4-H, a global program of youth organizations that participate in activities and encourage youth to reach their fullest potential. They competed in the 4-H Achievement Days, where they won two trophies together.

“I started 4-H to get out of drama,” Williams said.

Even though it’s only been a short time since she got Steve, he is always there for her and she loves her equine companion.

“He’s helped me through a lot,” Williams said. “Whenever I’m upset, I go to the barn to see him.”

Williams said Steve has his own personality, and though he can be stubborn, she likes working with him.

Sophomore Leah Williams holds her winning trophy at the July 2016 Grand Championships at the Cummings Center in Genesee.
IMAGE / Courtesy of Leah Williams

“He does everything I ask,” Williams said. “I can do pretty much whatever I want, and I don’t have to worry about a thing.”

Williams does not keep Steve at her home. She boards him at a barn owned by her trainer.

“Usually I get home and do my homework, then go to the barn for a few hours,” Williams said. “We have to drive to the barn every day.”

The workers at the barn clean his stall and feed him for her.

“It’s hard work. Sometimes when they aren’t finished I like to do the work for them,” Williams said. “They do so much for me.”