Headphone usage in classrooms raises debate

Sophomore+Alyssa+Brewington+uses+her+headphones+in+school.+Brewington+said+listening+to+music+helps+her+focus+on+her+schoolwork.+

IMAGE / Ave'r McKay

Sophomore Alyssa Brewington uses her headphones in school. Brewington said listening to music helps her focus on her schoolwork.

The opinion of students using headphones or earbuds in class varies from teacher to teacher.

Some are for it and some against it for their own specific reasons.

Mr. Andy Nester, government teacher, opposes the use of headphones and said they were an “unnecessary disruption.”

“I’m not a fan of headphones in school,” Nester said. “There are enough distractions in today’s world whether that be music, social media, and even gaming that would require a student to wear headphones outside of school.”

Nester said teachers put in a great deal of work planning a classroom, so it shouldn’t be drowned out by headphones.

“While we’re in school, in order to read, think, discuss, and write at a complex level, an atmosphere of focus and attention to (detail), that should be the expectation,” Nester said. “I’m not opposed to a certain amount of distraction, except when it’s in my class that IĀ have spent a concentrated amount of time to plan for. I’ve always strived for balance in my life.”

IMAGE / Brianna Horne
Junior Gabby Ropp works in the library during lunch while listening to music.

Other teachers have a different opinion.

Mr. Brian Clark, business teacher, believes headphones offer a comforting alternative to distractions in the surrounding environment.

“In certain classes like Desktop Publishing, I play music on my computer and some kids don’t like my music, so they can put headphones in,” Clark said. “No harm, no foul.”

Students also have a wide variety of opinions on using their own headphones in class.

Senior Mallory Davis said she is more attentive to her work when she uses headphones.

“It (headphones) actually helps me focus,” Davis said. “It helps me read and work on assignments because I get easily distracted by anything, like in my IEP (Individualized Educational Program) it says that I can (use them) to do my work.”

SeniorĀ Brandon Hart believes that as long as it does not affect him, it is fine.

“As long as you’re paying attention, I don’t care,” Hart said. “But as soon as it becomes a distraction, I do (care).”

Assistant Principal Matt Moore added his own opinion on the subject.

“I don’t think you guys should use them at all,” Moore said. “But watching my own children, who can watch movies with headphones in while doing their homework and get A’s makes me reconsider. But it’s the teacher’s decision.”