NHS offers free tutoring after school

IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh

Senior Rian Schulz is a member of NHS who volunteers to tutor students after school..

Students who need academic help will benefit from National Honor Society tutoring.

NHS members stay after school on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Students from all classes are welcome to come for help between 2:30 and 3:30 p.m.

“We started up the tutoring program about three or four years ago,” Mrs. Colleen Grathoff said. “Mr. Wiskur came to me and asked me to have NHS tutor other students who need help.”

Grathoff is the career development facilitator at KHS.

NHS started tutoring at Armstrong Middle School last year. It was presented as a new way for students to earn service hours.

“Even NHS students have been tutored before, so it’s open to anybody,” Grathoff said. “You just walk in, no need to sign up or anything first, it’s right in (Room) 107.”

The opportunity for more service hours is one reason that the program was extended down to Armstrong Middle School.

We go over anything you need help with. We do our best to make sure you understand the concepts, at least to our best understanding.

— Rian Schulz, senior

“The benefit for the NHS students is that they get to earn service hours,” Grathoff said. “The students volunteer either to tutor here or some of them do it at Armstrong.”

Senior Rian Schulz, one of the volunteers, thinks the program is helpful.

“We go over anything you need help with,” Schulz said. “We do our best to make sure you understand the concepts, at least to our best understanding.”

Schulz said that tutoring helps the NHS students as well.

“I feel like when I help students I prosper more in that subject myself because I gain a better understanding of things I may have missed in previous years,” Schulz said.