Seniors win powder puff title, remain undefeated

IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh

Senior Hailey Baltosser rushes 37 yards for a first down, which was the longest play of the game. The Seniors beat the Freshmen in the championship 8-0 on Wednesday, Oct. 5.

The Seniors won the powder puff football championship Wednesday, October 5, beating the Freshmen 8-0.

An impressive drive by the Freshmen got the game started. After more than 12 minutes with the football, senior Alexis Schwartz put a stop to the freshman charge with a 6-yard tackle for a loss on fourth down.

The Freshmen came out early with a dominant passing attack that continued throughout the game. Quarterback Jakeira Wash ended up 9-of-18, throwing for 109 yards.

With quarterback Brittney Dick leading the Seniors who now had the ball, the Seniors offense started on their own 21-yard line.

Rushing was the main focus for the Seniors, and it paid off in a big way. They took nearly eight minutes and 12 snaps to drive 79 yards for the only touchdown of the game.

Some determined play led to two key third-down conversions for the Seniors.

Senior Dajiana Simmons runs 5 yards for the winning touchdown while Tori Jones clears the path for her.
IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh

Hailey Baltosser, not only the leading rusher of the game with 45 yards on the ground but a candidate for homecoming queen, came up big with a 37-yard run on third and long to push her offense farther downfield.

Running back Dajiana Simmons was able to punch through the red-zone defense and rush five yards for the score. Alexis Allen kicked the PAT to put the seniors up 8-0 just before halftime.

“Knowing that my touchdown was the reason we won really made me proud of myself and all of my teammates who helped me get the TD,” Simmons said.

Mr. Chris Torok, Freshmen coach, decided to continue moving the ball through the air in the second half.

Two receivers made the lion’s share of catches for Wash. Stacia Tipton and Sydney Walker had four receptions apiece, and combined for 108 yards.

Tipton believes in her team and thinks they will succeed going forward, despite having lost the championship game this year.

Freshman Jakeira Wash completes a pass to her receiver Stacia Tipton.
IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh

“I’m confident we will win the rest of the years, the Seniors have it coming next year,” Tipton said.

The two teams traded possessions back and forth, unable to get any momentum going.

Both teams had players step up on defense in the second half. Multiple seniors ended up with tackles for loss.

Maddy White and Loren Jolin combined to cost the Freshmen 19 yards, with four tackles for loss (two sacks) between them.

With 1:52 remaining in the game, the Seniors appeared to have it all locked up as they got the ball back once more. The Freshmen came up with some big stops, though, and forced the Seniors to punt one last time, after five plays and 90 seconds.

The Freshmen had the ball and a chance to tie up the game. Walker caught a pass from Wash and made it 20 yards before being stopped in the open field by senior Ave’r McKay.

After a timeout and two incomplete passes, the Freshmen had time for one final play. They again went to Walker through the air, who made it five yards before being stopped once again by McKay to end the game.

Senior Alexis Allen kicks off in the first half of the powder puff championship Wednesday, Oct. 5 .
IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh
Senior Alexis Allen kicks off in the first half of the powder puff championship Wednesday, Oct. 5 , with Ave’r McKay looking over the kick receiving team.

Thanks to the defensive efforts and impressive running game of the Seniors, they ended up bringing home the championship.

This was the second championship win for the Class of 2017, and their fourth overall win. They will end their high school careers 4-0.

“We were happy and super excited,” Baltosser said. “This last game was our fourth game in a row we’ve won and we all thought it was cool to be the first team to do that.

“I am sad this is my last powder puff. I’ve always looked forward to playing and having the rivalry between the two final teams.”

Game Photos

Freshman Jakeira Wash throws a pass in the first drive of the game.
IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

The Seniors celebrate their victory over the Freshmen in the powder puff championship 8-0 on Wednesday, Oct. 5.
IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

X

Freshman Sydney Walker attempts to reel in a long pass in the final minute of the game.
IMAGE / Katelyn Elumbaugh.